It was Get Your Ass Kicked Wednesday for the White Sox, as they played two separate games simultaneously and got their ass kicked in both of them. The Padres won the first game 13-2 and the Rockies won the second 8-5. Though a ninth inning "rally" made that Rockies game seem a bit closer.The most worrisome aspect of it all was that the Padres scored 13 runs. The Padres.
Anyway, let's get to the ugly.
THOUGHTS AND THINGS
- Gavin Floyd hated the 6th inning. For his first 5 innings, Gavin Floyd looked pretty great. Then he got rocked in the 6th, didn't finish the inning, and finished the day allowing 8 runs in 5.2 innings of work with a couple walks and 7 hits.
- Terry Doyle misses the Arizona Fall League. Remember when Terry Doyle was dazzling hitters in the Fall League so much that some White Sox fans were actually angry with the team for leaving him available in the Rule 5 Draft? Then remember when the Twins took him, and he allowed roughly 900 runs in 3 innings of work for Minnesota this spring before the Twins hit return to sender? Yeah, well, Doyle pitched against San Diego today for the White Sox and allowed 6 runs in 1.1 innings.
- Though at least Leyson Septimo is kind. For no other reason than to be a good teammate, Septimo followed Doyle and gave up 4 runs in only two/thirds of an inning. That's how you pick a teammate up, kids.
- Dayan Viciedo had the best day ever. He got a hit, he drew a walk, and he didn't strike out a single time!
- Did you know the White Sox have a player in the system named Marcus Semien? Bet you can't figure out how I pronounce it.
- Paul Konerko is still on fire. After going 3-for-4 he's now hitting .407 on the spring. Keep in mind the man started out the spring something like 0-for-11.